Partnership Technical Bureau (PTB) invited, on 15 September 2013, investors of competent local, regional and global companies to express their interest of participation in the municipal solid waste management project. The deadline for receiving the Expression of Interest (EOI), as specified by PTB, is 17 November 2013.
PTB announced features of this investment opportunity for investors as follows:
Project objective : Treatment of municipal (household) solid waste in the State of Kuwait in accordance with best international systems, to protect environment and natural resources, and reduce lands wasted in landfill areas at its current status.
Project Location and Area : Kabd area, 25 kilometers from Kuwait City, with estimated total area of 500,000 square meters
Scope of Solid Waste Management :
- Waste treatment by sorting of recyclable waste
- Burning of residue waste using incinerators, to be converted into electrical power
- Ensuring that the final residue from the incinerators is interred in approved landfill areas
Project Business Model :
- Design, finance, build, operate, maintain and transfer, in accordance with Public-Private Partnership (PPP) program, for 25 years in addition to a 4-year period for designing and building, as provided by Law No. 7 of 2008
- Ministry of Electricity and Water (MEW) will purchase electric power produced
Waste Recycling Capacity : 3,000 ton per day
It is worth mentioning that PTB has signed a contract with Baker Tilly Kuwait to accomplish the consultancy study for this project. Baker Tilly Kuwait is a member of UK-based Baker Tilly International, the world’s 8th largest audit, tax and consulting network in terms of revenue.
Source: PTB’s Advertisement in Al-Qabas newspaper dated 15 September, Economics Section, Page 33